3 wholesome snacks to nourish your gut
What you eat plays a significant role in shaping your gut microbiome. Diets high in prebiotic fibres are shown to have a positive effect by increasing the abundance and diversity of gut microbiota. Prebiotics are the food for your gut bacteria that travel through the gastrointestinal tract.
Honey Muesli Balls
Makes: 8–12 balls
- ¼ cup Kfibre
- 2½ cups muesli, reduced fruit
- 1 cup chopped dates or prunes
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 70g butter, cooled
- Process Kfibre, 2 cups of muesli, dates or prunes, honey, mixed spice and butter in a food processor until well combined.
- Place remaining muesli on a plate. Using 1 level tbsp of prune mix at a time, roll into a ball, then roll in the remaining muesli to coat. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 mins or until firm.
- Store muesli balls in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Note: This may have a laxative effect.
Makes: 1 cake
- 320g mixed fruit such as sultanas, raisins, prunes, dates, cherries, apricots — chopped
- 1 cup raw sugar
- Pinch salt
- 180g butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp Kfibre
- 2 tbsp bicarb soda
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup chopped nuts such as pecans or Brazil
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Place fruit, sugar, salt and butter in a saucepan.
- Boil for 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Cool, then add the beaten egg.
- Sift flours, Kfibre and bicarb soda into a bowl.
- Pour in the fruit mix and stir thoroughly.
- Add pineapple and nuts and stir well.
- Bake in a prepared greased tin (or baking paper or oiled foil) in a slow to moderate oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
Makes: 1 slice
- 3 zucchinis, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- ¾ cup rice flour
- 1 heaped tbsp Kfibre
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Pour all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Pout mix into a well-greased baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins or until well browned.
For more information visit kfibre.com
CORN THINS Sesame Organic
Looking for a snack that’s healthy but not boring? Crispy & tasty, but also good for you? No need to...
Cacao Berry & Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie Recipes
Looking for your go-to holiday snack? Sip on these nutrient-packed summer smoothies to enhance your mood, boost your energy and...
3 Asian-inspired vegan dishes to add to your mid-week menu
Elevate your mid-week rotation with these Asian-inspired vegan dishes, using Niulife’s Vegan Fysh Sauce to give your meal that delicious,...