Kale Pesto Penne Recipe
I developed this dish out of wanting to include the nourishing stems of the kale in a meal. I often save them to add to bone broth, but I wanted another option, so this delicious, nutritious pasta dish was born: Kale Pesto Penne.
Serves: 4 as a side
- 4–5 large stems curly kale, washed well
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 50g (approx.) parmesan cheese, roughly diced
- 1 cup almonds, toasted
- Big handful basil leaves
- Juice & zest 1 small lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 250g rice quinoa penne pasta
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil + 1 tbsp water
- Start by stripping leaves off kale stems, tearing into small pieces and finely chopping remaining kale stems.
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in large pot and boil chopped stems (not leaves) for 5 mins (or until softened). Drain and set aside.
- Refill pot with water and bring to boil. Once boiling, cook penne until al dente.
- Meanwhile, make pesto: in food processor, chop garlic. Add parmesan and process until finely grated. Add half of almonds and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add basil, cooked kale stems, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and pepper and pulse until it forms coarse pesto.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain and return pan to moderate heat. Add extra 2 tbsp olive oil and water then add kale leaves. Sauté, stirring constantly until just wilted (but not browned).
- Once wilted, return pasta, pesto and remaining toasted almonds to pot and stir to combine over low heat.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: For omnivores, you can also add cooked chicken or tuna. To make it vegan (and dairy-free), replace parmesan with nutritional yeast.
Vietnamese Meatball Soup Recipe
This Vietnamese meatball soup is a delicious, fuss-free meal that is both nutritious and healing. Enjoy our Vietnamese meatball soup...
Chicken Broth Pho Recipe
Substitute a classic stock with bone broth in this refreshing pho for the ultimate one-bowl meal with our chicken broth...
Ricepaper Rolls Recipe
Get creative! Add any combination of vegetables you like as well as your choice of protein. Enjoy our ricepaper roll...
Roast Sweet Potato, Hummus & Quinoa Poke Bowl Recipe
You’ll notice that a lot of the components of one poke bowl can be used in another. Enjoy my Roast...