Lamb Korma with Spiced Cauliflower Rice Recipe
One of my favourite ways to eat lamb is in a slow-cooked curry. Despite the long list of ingredients, this Lamb Korma with Spiced Cauliflower Rice is actually very easy to make and is a beautifully spiced, delicious meal.
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2–3cm fresh ginger, peeled
- Small red chilli, to taste (or add individually at the table to control heat)
- 100g almonds
- 100g cashew nuts
- 200mL full-fat natural or coconut yoghurt
- 200mL coconut water
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised slightly with top of knife handle
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1kg lamb shoulder, diced
- 1 cup cooked or tinned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Juice ½ lemon
- Large handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- In food processor, pulverise garlic, ginger, chilli, almonds and cashew nuts until paste is formed.
- Scrape down sides, add yoghurt and coconut water and blend until well combined. Set aside.
- On stovetop, heat ovenproof dish (with lid) and add coconut oil or ghee to melt. Add onion and cinnamon quill, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, ground coriander, turmeric and garam masala.
- Cook over low heat for couple of mins until fragrant.
- Add lamb pieces and mixture from food processor and stir well to combine.
- Put lid on dish and place in pre-heated oven to slow cook for 2 hours. Add chickpeas and cook for 1 more hour or until sauce has thickened and meat is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Good pinch sea salt
- Salad greens or steamed vegies, to serve
- Start cauliflower rice just before korma is ready. In pan, heat ghee or coconut oil over moderate heat. Add onion and sauté until soft (couple of mins).
- Put cauliflower in food processor and pulse to rice-like consistency. Add to pan with cinnamon and salt and sauté for a couple of mins, stirring constantly until it is just starting to soften.
- Serve with lamb korma immediately with green salad or side of steamed vegies.
Chicken Tray Bake Recipe
One way I ensure my kids’ lunches are healthy without me having to spend hours in the kitchen is to...
Life after smoking: here's how one man beat the addiction for good
Dr Karen Bridgman presents the case of a man who wanted to stop smoking. He had tried the various pharmacological...
6 powerful detoxification tools for mind and body inspired by Ayurveda and Yoga
The Eastern modalities of yoga and Ayurveda have held cleansing at the centre of their philosophies for millennia. The specific...
Meet the winners of the EatWell Yummies Awards 2019
This year, the EatWell Yummies Awards received a huge number of votes. After poring over more than 18,000 votes, we...