Lamb Korma with Spiced Cauliflower Rice Recipe
One of my favourite ways to eat lamb is in a slow-cooked curry. Despite the long list of ingredients, this Lamb Korma with Spiced Cauliflower Rice is actually very easy to make and is a beautifully spiced, delicious meal.
- 1–2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2–3cm fresh ginger, peeled
- Small red chilli, to taste (or add individually at the table to control heat)
- 100g almonds
- 100g cashew nuts
- 200mL full-fat natural or coconut yoghurt
- 200mL coconut water
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised slightly with top of knife handle
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1kg lamb shoulder, diced
- 1 cup cooked or tinned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Juice ½ lemon
- Large handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- In food processor, pulverise garlic, ginger, chilli, almonds and cashew nuts until paste is formed.
- Scrape down sides, add yoghurt and coconut water and blend until well combined. Set aside.
- On stovetop, heat ovenproof dish (with lid) and add coconut oil or ghee to melt. Add onion and cinnamon quill, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, ground coriander, turmeric and garam masala.
- Cook over low heat for couple of mins until fragrant.
- Add lamb pieces and mixture from food processor and stir well to combine.
- Put lid on dish and place in pre-heated oven to slow cook for 2 hours. Add chickpeas and cook for 1 more hour or until sauce has thickened and meat is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Good pinch sea salt
- Salad greens or steamed vegies, to serve
- Start cauliflower rice just before korma is ready. In pan, heat ghee or coconut oil over moderate heat. Add onion and sauté until soft (couple of mins).
- Put cauliflower in food processor and pulse to rice-like consistency. Add to pan with cinnamon and salt and sauté for a couple of mins, stirring constantly until it is just starting to soften.
- Serve with lamb korma immediately with green salad or side of steamed vegies.
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...