Lemon and Poppy Seed Cakes Recipe
This recipe works well in a larger cake tin, too, such as a loaf tin. Just cook it for 10 minutes longer.
Makes: 4 small cakes
- Olive oil for greasing
- Flour for dusting
- 2 eggs
- 75g coconut palm sugar
- Zest 2 lemons
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 120g spelt flour
- 50g brown-rice flour
- 40g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 4 mini cake tins with olive oil and dust with flour so they are non-stick.
- Add eggs, coconut palm sugar and lemon zest to bowl. Beat well, until eggs are light in colour and fluffy.
- In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients: poppy seeds, spelt flour, brown-rice flour, buckwheat flour and baking powder.
- Add dry mix to bowl of egg mixture, along with olive oil and lemon juice. Gently mix everything until just combined — don’t over-mix.
- Divide mixture between 4 cake tins and bake for 25 mins until golden brown.
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...
Sweet Spiced Carrot Loaf with Maple and Peanut Frosting
As a beginner baker I truly believe simple recipes like loaves are a great introduction to the kitchen. You can...
Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Muffins Recipe
These muffins make the perfect lunchbox snack. They’re nut-free and packed with vegetables and nutrient-dense flours. For this recipe, I...