Mashed Potato & Greens with Onion Gravy Recipe
Buying the right ingredients is a crucial part of being prepared for your working week dinners. Here, washed potatoes are roughly chopped without being peeled (for extra fibre) and thrown into a pot of water, with the veggies and gravy prepared while they boil. It’s really that easy to prepare a delicious wholesome meal in 20 minutes.
- Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium–large potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp wholemeal plain flour mixed with 2–4 tbsp water to make a slurry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 broccoli heads, broken into florets
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves or kale
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Place the potatoes into a pan over a high heat, cover with cold water and cook, with the lid on.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion rings and sauté until brown. Add a splash of water to the pan of onion rings to deglaze the pan.
- Add the stock and stir, bringing it to the boil. Once boiling, add the flour slurry and stir. Stir constantly until boiling then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 mins.
- Set aside until ready to eat.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over a medium–high heat with ¼ cup of water.
- Add the broccoli florets and peas. Cover with a lid and steam for 5 mins.
- Drain the potatoes leaving just a little bit of water to keep them moist, place the pan back onto the heat, add the milk and then mash with a potato masher.
- Beat potato mixture with a wooden spoon until creamy and smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the steamed greens in a bowl with the mashed potato on the side and the gravy over the top.
Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe
These gluten-free pancakes offer a sweet breakfast or brunch treat that is fluffy, light and delicious — a delight for your...
Quick kitchen: Nourishing mocha and banana smoothie bowl
Don't put your high-speed blender and reusable straws away yet. It’s still the perfect time to enjoy the humble smoothie...
Treat yourself to these 4 gnocchi comfort food recipes
Winter is here and we've got your comfort food recipes covered thanks to Grand Italian's delicious gnocchi, bringing the taste...
Masoor Vegan Dal
Made with red lentils and fragrant spices, this traditional vegan dal is power-packed with dietary fibre and protein and it...