Moroccan Chicken with Olives, Lemon and Pomegranate Recipe
Slow cookers are a fantastic way to slow-roast a chicken until it’s soft, tender and falling off the bone. Make sure you keep the chicken bones so you can make some nourishing chicken broth with them. Try this Moroccan Chicken with Olives, Lemon and Pomegranate Recipe tonight with the kids.
- 2 lemons, cut into quarters
- 1 onion, roughly sliced
- ½ cup black pitted olives
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- Set slow cooker to high and place lemon pieces, onion and olives in base of slow cooker. Set aside while you prepare chicken.
- I like to butterfly chicken, which is straightforward to do if you have sharp kitchen scissors. You can always ask your butcher to butterfly it for you. To butterfly chicken, place it breast-side down on chopping board. Start from tail-end cavity and cut down each side of backbone with sharp scissors. Save backbone for chicken stock. Turn chicken around so it’s now breast side up. Press firmly in between centre of breasts until you hear a crack and chicken sits flat. Place chicken in slow cooker so it sits on top of onion and lemon mix.
- Drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle over sea salt and black cumin seeds.
- Cook on high for 3½ hours. Then, remove the ceramic dish from slow cooker, remove lid and place in oven at 225C and cook for a further 20 mins, until skin is a lovely golden colour.
- To serve, gently remove chicken from slow cooker dish and place on large platter. Add lemons, olives and onion and drizzle over juices from slow cooker. Just before serving, scatter pomegranate seeds, and enjoy!
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Indian-Spiced Mince with Peas Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get any more budget friendly, easier or tastier than this Indian Spiced Mince with Peas. It’s one of...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...