Prebiotic Tray Bake Recipe
This prebiotic tray bake is pimped up with a tangy garlic tahini drizzle. Roasting is a great way to cheer up any vegetable that may have been left in the fridge too long. The vegetables all cook at different speeds, so some are crunchier than others, which adds to the beauty of this dish.
- 200g Jerusalem artichokes
- ½ lemon
- 200g parsnips, peeled & quartered lengthways
- 300g heirloom or baby carrots, trimmed
- 2 leeks, white part only, washed well & cut into 2cm rounds
- 2 red onions, cut in half or into thick wedges
- 1 jicama (Mexican yam bean), peeled & thinly sliced
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 60mL extra-virgin olive oil
- Aleppo pepper or red chilli flakes, to garnish
- Garlic & Tahini Drizzle
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch Celtic sea salt
- 3–4 tbsp tahini
- 3–4 tbsp lemon juice or more, to taste
- 2–3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line large roasting pan with baking paper.
- To prepare artichokes, scrub well, but don’t peel unless skin seems too rough. Cut in half lengthways and immediately rub cut surface with cut surface of lemon to stop browning.
- Place all vegetables, except jicama and asparagus, in single layer in roasting pan. You don’t want to crowd the vegetables or they won’t roast and crisp up, so use another lined roasting pan if necessary. Drizzle with olive oil and rub to coat well.
- Bake for 25 mins, turning vegetables once. Add jicama and asparagus and roast for a further 10 mins, or until asparagus is just cooked and all vegetables are golden around edges.
- Meanwhile, to make garlic tahini drizzle, mash garlic and salt to purée using mortar and pestle. Transfer to bowl and whisk in tahini. Add lemon juice and a little water, whisking continuously, adding a little more water each time until sauce reaches consistency of thick cream or runny yoghurt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve roasted vegetables with garlic tahini drizzle.
Banana Berry Bliss Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Bananas are one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy nervous system. They also...
Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet Stalks and Whole Pumpkin Recipe
A wonderful way to use up vegetables and avoid food waste is by making this Frittata with Tomato Tops, Silverbeet...
Roasted Fennel Tart Recipe
In this Roasted Fennel Tart, the fennel has a lovely aniseed flavour and the fennel greens are rich in potassium,...
Spiced Cauliflower, Hazelnuts and Feta Recipe
This Spiced Cauliflower, Hazelnuts and Feta Recipe is fabulous to make ahead when you are entertaining or eat straight out...