Quinoa-Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
One of my favourite vegetarian meals, these Quinoa-Stuffed Mushrooms are tasty and super simple to make. The combination of protein from the quinoa, carbohydrate via the vegetables and essential fats from the walnuts makes this one brain-boosting, nourishing meal.
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 medium–large Portobello or field mushrooms, stalks removed & set aside
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (½ cup uncooked will yield 1 cup)
- ½ small red onion or bunch spring onions, finely diced
- Large handful spinach or kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, picked off stalks (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 100g soft feta or goat’s curd, crumbled
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Rocket or mixed lettuce leaves, to serve (optional)
- Zest 1 small lemon + 2 tbsp juice
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled (roasted with mushrooms)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Chop mushroom stalks and combine in bowl with quinoa, onion, spinach or kale and thyme leaves.
- Mix through feta or goat’s curd. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon onto mushrooms, pressing into place, then top with walnuts and sprinkle with chia seeds.
- Place on baking tray with whole clove of garlic and roast for 20 mins.
- For dressing, mix together zest, lemon juice and olive oil and, once cooked, squeeze out soft centre of roasted garlic and mix into dressing.
- Serve mushrooms on bed of rocket or mixed lettuce leaves and drizzle over dressing.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my...
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...