Salted Miso Caramel Slice Recipe
Miso in sweet recipes is like a hidden gem you wish you knew about earlier. The umami flavour we all love in Japanese cooking comes through so beautifully when paired with chocolate and dates. I make this slice as an extra-special showstopper. It’s rich and decadent and you won’t be able to stop at one bite!
Makes: 10 slices
GF, V, VG
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp 100% maple syrup
- ½ tbsp vanilla essence
- Miso Caramel Layers
- 2 level tbsp white miso
- 1½ cup fresh Medjool dates, pips removed (approximately 18 dates)
- 270mL tin coconut cream
- 3 tbsp water
- 200g 85% dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place all the base layer ingredients in a food processor and process on high speed until ground into fine crumbs and the mixture starts to come together like a wet dough.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it evenly to cover the base of the tin. Using fingers, press the mixture well into the corners and flatten it until smooth. Place in the freezer while making the miso caramel layer.
- To make the miso caramel, place the miso, dates, 5 tbsp coconut cream and water in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If necessary add a couple more tbsp of water until the caramel is smooth. If the miso flavour is too strong add extra dates and/or coconut cream.
- Remove the base from the freezer spread with the miso caramel in an even layer.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl. Bring the remaining coconut cream to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir frequently until the chocolate melts and a ganache forms. Pour the ganache over the miso caramel. Set in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Chocolate Nice Cream with Strawberries Recipe
Decadent and sweet with natural sugars, this choc nice cream is the perfect sweet treat or pancake topper — and...
Original Coconut Amino Sauce — Niulife
The original not-soy sauce that’s famous for flavour. This soy-free seasoning sauce is all-natural, non-GMO and gluten free. Made from...
Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil — Niulife
Hand-made by small coastal villages in the pristine Solomon Islands, our single-origin wild-harvested Extra Virgin Coconut Oil provides a new...
BBQ Coconut Amino Sauce — Niulife
A deliciously rich and tangy sauce perfect for basting, dipping and pouring. This soy-free seasoning sauce is all-natural, non-GMO and...