Spelt and Star Anise Biscuits Recipe
I’ve been making versions of these biscuits since the kids were little. The original recipe is inspired by Jude Blereau. They are a great everyday biscuit sweetened with maple syrup and lend themselves to any sort of flavouring — ginger, chocolate, cardamom. I have used star anise here as I love the little aniseed hit.
Makes: 20-24 biscuits
- ¼ cup almonds, hazelnuts or pecans
- 130g white spelt flour
- ¼½ tsp ground star anise
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place nuts on baking tray and roast for 5 mins or until just starting to become fragrant.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute and place in blender or food processor and blitz to crumb.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add flour, star anise, baking powder and sea salt, mixing well to combine.
- Place maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in small saucepan and gently warm until melted and combined.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until mixture comes together as dough.
- Flatten into disc, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 3–4mm thick.
- Cut into biscuit shapes of choice and place on lined baking tray.
- Bake for around 15 mins, or until lightly golden, then remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Mushroom and Thyme Pasta Recipe
This pasta is one of my favourite vegetarian midweek meals. It’s quick and easy to make and really tasty. You...
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my...
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...