Spelt and Star Anise Biscuits Recipe
I’ve been making versions of these biscuits since the kids were little. The original recipe is inspired by Jude Blereau. They are a great everyday biscuit sweetened with maple syrup and lend themselves to any sort of flavouring — ginger, chocolate, cardamom. I have used star anise here as I love the little aniseed hit.
Makes: 20-24 biscuits
- ¼ cup almonds, hazelnuts or pecans
- 130g white spelt flour
- ¼½ tsp ground star anise
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place nuts on baking tray and roast for 5 mins or until just starting to become fragrant.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute and place in blender or food processor and blitz to crumb.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add flour, star anise, baking powder and sea salt, mixing well to combine.
- Place maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in small saucepan and gently warm until melted and combined.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until mixture comes together as dough.
- Flatten into disc, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 3–4mm thick.
- Cut into biscuit shapes of choice and place on lined baking tray.
- Bake for around 15 mins, or until lightly golden, then remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Beetroot and Feta Croquette Appetiser Recipe
These simple beetroot and feta croquettes offer an easy, delicious and colourful appetiser to add to your entertaining menu.
Lemon Risotto Croquettes with Pesto Recipe
These delicious gluten-free croquettes are perfect served as an appetiser or as a vegetarian meal topped with marinara sauce, parmesan...
Coconut & Hemp Crumbed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Pumped with plant protein and essential fats, these gluten-free crumbed Brussels sprouts are the ultimate vegan snack, side or lunch!
Mushroom & Pea Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
Looking for a wholesome dinner option? Try this plant-based brown rice risotto, full of fresh veggies and flavours for a...