Spelt and Star Anise Biscuits Recipe
I’ve been making versions of these biscuits since the kids were little. The original recipe is inspired by Jude Blereau. They are a great everyday biscuit sweetened with maple syrup and lend themselves to any sort of flavouring — ginger, chocolate, cardamom. I have used star anise here as I love the little aniseed hit.
Makes: 20-24 biscuits
- ¼ cup almonds, hazelnuts or pecans
- 130g white spelt flour
- ¼½ tsp ground star anise
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place nuts on baking tray and roast for 5 mins or until just starting to become fragrant.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute and place in blender or food processor and blitz to crumb.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add flour, star anise, baking powder and sea salt, mixing well to combine.
- Place maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in small saucepan and gently warm until melted and combined.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until mixture comes together as dough.
- Flatten into disc, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 3–4mm thick.
- Cut into biscuit shapes of choice and place on lined baking tray.
- Bake for around 15 mins, or until lightly golden, then remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Mushroom and Zucchini Risotto Recipe
Porcini mushrooms give this risotto a rich, earthy flavour. If you have leftovers, form them into balls or patties and...
Tahini Muesli Bars Recipe
Feel free to use any combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit in this recipe but be sure to stick...
Tahini Choc Chip Cookies Recipes
As a mum and nutritionist, I’m always trying to find more nourishing ways to create the family favourites — especially...
Tahini Icy Poles Recipes
For as long as I can remember there has been a healthy version of icy poles in my life. My...