Split Pea Pie with Sweet Potato Topping Recipe
A pastry-free alternative loaded with maximum comfort and nutrition. This would also work well with any leftover legume-based dish you may have, perhaps Mexican-style beans or an Indian dahl.
- 600–700g sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- ½ cup milk of choice
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 4–6 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked yellow split peas (or brown or green lentils)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salad, to serve
- Fresh parsley leaves, to serve
- Spring onions, sliced, to serve
- Boil or steam sweet potatoes for around 10 mins until tender. Drain but retain ½ cup of cooking water.
- Mash sweet potato together with milk, adding as much cooking water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Add good couple of pinches of sea salt and few grinds of black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and carrot in olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat until onion is soft. Add garam masala, smoked paprika and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until starting to brown.
- Add tomatoes, split peas and peas and cook for few mins, adding a little extra water or stock if it looks too dry.
- Transfer mix to baking dish and top with mash.
- Place in oven and bake at 180°C for around 25 mins or until potato takes on slight golden crispiness.
- Serve with salad or topped with fresh parsley and sliced spring onions.
Get to know David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl from Green Kitchen Stories
David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl are the Scandinavian duo at the helm of Green Kitchen Stories. Their simple, healthy and...
Beetroot and Feta Croquette Appetiser Recipe
These simple beetroot and feta croquettes offer an easy, delicious and colourful appetiser to add to your entertaining menu.
Lemon Risotto Croquettes with Pesto Recipe
These delicious gluten-free croquettes are perfect served as an appetiser or as a vegetarian meal topped with marinara sauce, parmesan...
Coconut & Hemp Crumbed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Pumped with plant protein and essential fats, these gluten-free crumbed Brussels sprouts are the ultimate vegan snack, side or lunch!