Spring Onion and Timut Pepper Flatbreads Recipe
This recipe uses cassava flour, which is gluten-free and made from a root vegetable found in South America. It has a wonderful starchy texture that behaves in a similar way to gluten, helping to hold the flat breads together and avoiding the crumbly problem you often get with gluten-free baking. You can buy cassava flour from a health-food store or online.
Makes: 4 flatbreads
- 210g cassava flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp ground timut pepper
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add cassava flour, sea salt, olive oil, spring onion and timut pepper to bowl and mix together until combined. Add warm water and mix together until you have dough. Make sure water is warm as this helps to activate the starch in cassava flour.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll 1 piece between 2 sheets of baking paper until 1mm thick. Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in frypan over medium heat. Remove top sheet of baking paper and carefully flip circle of dough into frypan. Then gently peel off other piece of baking paper. Cook on this side for 5 mins then flip and cook for a further 2 mins. Remove from pan and continue process with remaining 3 flat breads.
- Note: When the bread is warm it’s stretchy and can be rolled up with a filling inside. As soon as the bread cools the starches firm up and the bread will crack. So make sure you quickly warm the bread in a frypan before using.
Spiced Carrot Dip Recipe
Mad for carrots? We are too! They are a regular player in our snack bag on the run. Try our...
Smoked Salmon Bites Recipe
One of the best and easiest bulk batch snacks to serve for a crowd. Try our Smoked Salmon Bites Recipe!
Sweet Potato Bites Recipe
Repurpose the humble sweet potato into a type of soft cracker and top with a spicy dip. These are just...
Healthy Seed Crackers Recipe
Looking for a snack that is nut-, dairy- or gluten-free, with an egg-free option, too? Try our delicious Healthy Seed...