Thyme and Fennel Sausages with Apple Sauerkraut and Cauliflower Mash Recipe
Sauerkraut is a fermented food made from cabbage that’s a staple in the German diet. Unpasteurised sauerkraut contains probiotics, which have been found to help support the health of the digestive tract and immune system and lower inflammation in the gut. Sauerkraut is rich in vitamin K, which is vital for blood clotting and strong, healthy bones. We need vitamin K to keep calcium in our bones and away from our arteries. Cabbage is also a fabulous source of sulphur compounds that help promote liver detoxification of carcinogenic substances. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of these nutrients.
- 1 medium cauliflower, roughly chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
- 2 unpeeled organic apples, diced
- 3 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 cup unpasteurised sauerkraut
- 4 grass-fed organic sausages (lamb or beef)
- Fresh thyme
- Steam cauliflower until soft. Place in food processor with some sea salt and blend to smooth mash consistency.
- In frying pan, toast fennel seeds, then set aside.
- In frying pan cook apple pieces in apple-cider vinegar, until apple starts to soften. Set apple aside to cool. Toss apple through sauerkraut.
- Cook sausages to your liking.
- Plate up with cauliflower mash, top with a sausage and sauerkraut, and sprinkle with toasted fennel and thyme.
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about the thyroid gland and the important role it plays in...
Watch now: WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan
WellBeing's editor-in-chief, Terry Robson, speaks to Dr Sandra Cabot about a healthy maintenance plan.
Sponsor Recipes: Magimix share three delicious recipes for winter
Discover the delicious creations you can make with Magimix plus three delicious recipes!
Sponsor Recipes: Pearl River Bridge share four healthy winter dishes
Discover some of the delicious creations you can make with Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce.