Vegan Dumplings in Spicy Sauce Recipe
These vegan dumplings and spicy sauce are made for each other and will leave you wondering if you are still at home or in your favourite Asian restaurant.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely diced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce (optional, can replace with soy sauce)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup water chestnuts, diced
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked until soft then sliced
- 250g firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 packet x 20 round gow gee wrappers
- Spicy Sauce
- 8 tbsp sambal oelek
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 12 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 baby bok choy, cut lengthwise into eighths
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Sauté the onion, garlic, small red chilli and spring onions in a large frying pan.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tbsp of water. Add the spinach and continue to sauté until the spinach has wilted.
- Add the vegan fish sauce, grated carrot, water chestnuts and shiitake mushrooms, stir well and sauté until the mushrooms and carrot have wilted.
- Continue to cook for a few mins then add the tofu and mirin and stir well. Set aside in a bowl.
- To assemble, fill a small bowl with water. Separate all of the gow gee wrappers and lay 8 out onto a clean kitchen bench.
- Add no more than 1 tbsp of filling to the centre of each of the gow gee wrappers.
- Dip your fingers into the water and moisten the edges of each wrapper so that once folded in half, the edges stick together to create a sealed parcel. Pinch the edges together to create a scalloped edge.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and drop in 8 dumplings at a time. The dumplings will float to the top and turn translucent after about 2-3 mins.
- Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and place them onto a platter.
- Add the baby bok choy to the water and cook for a few mins.
- Meanwhile in 4 shallow wide bowls, add to each: 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp sambal. Add a cup of the water the dumplings were cooked in, to each bowl and stir.
- Place some bok choy in each bowl. Add the cooked dumpling and top with the chopped spring onion and coriander.
Quick kitchen: Nourishing mocha and banana smoothie bowl
Don't put your high-speed blender and reusable straws away yet. It’s still the perfect time to enjoy the humble smoothie...
Masoor Vegan Dal
Made with red lentils and fragrant spices, this traditional vegan dal is power-packed with dietary fibre and protein and it...
Tarkari Vegan Curry Recipe
This vegan curry is a traditional Nepali dish, commonly served alongside dal bhat, a lentil and rice dish that is...
Mango Lassi Recipe
This mango lassi recipe is best used with ripe mangoes for a naturally sweet flavour – it's great with and...