Vegan Gado Gado Rolls Recipe
Gado gado means medley or pot-pourri, which refers to all the different seasonal vegies and ingredients that are used throughout Indonesia, making this dish slightly different wherever you go.
Serves: 4, makes approx. 12 rolls
- Peanut Sauce
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 2 fresh medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp red chilli paste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 carrots, cut into thin batons
- Handful sugar snap peas, topped & tailed
- ¼ small cabbage, leaves separated & cut into large strips
- 1 small head broccoli, broken into small florets
- Handful baby spinach
- 150g tempeh, sliced into strips
- Heat wok over high heat. Add peanuts and toast until golden brown.
- Place roasted peanuts and pitted dates in mortar and pound with pestle (or put in high-speed blender) and puree into paste-like peanut butter.
- Place peanut paste in saucepan. Add red chilli paste and 1 cup water. Turn on heat. Mix well and bring to boil. Boil sauce and cook for a couple of mins until it reduces. Add salt to taste. Stir well. Set aside until needed.
- To assemble cabbage rolls, place a few pieces of carrot and peas on cabbage leaf, then roll cabbage around carrots and sugar snaps. Heat wok and add some water, then bring to boil. Place steaming basket in wok. Add cabbage rolls, cover with lid and steam for a couple of mins until cabbage is softened. Remove rolls from steaming basket and set aside.
- Add another cup of water to wok, bring to boil and add broccoli florets and remaining carrots to steaming basket. Cover with lid and steam for a few mins. When broccoli is bright green, remove vegetables from steaming basket.
- Add remaining cabbage and spinach leaves to basket and steam for a couple of mins and, when leaves have wilted, remove vegetables from basket.
- Add sliced tempeh to steaming basket and steam for a couple of mins.
- To assemble, place some peanut sauce on platter. Place cabbage rolls on top of sauce. Add some steamed tempeh in between rolls. Add some broccoli florets and spinach to top. Drizzle peanut sauce on top.
- With remaining vegetables, place cabbage and spinach on platter, top with broccoli and carrots. Pour over the peanut sauce, add remaining tempeh and serve.
Spiced Carrot Dip Recipe
Mad for carrots? We are too! They are a regular player in our snack bag on the run. Try our...
Egg Salad Cos Cups Recipe
Create a fun dish to have at your next picnic that looks impressive! Try our Egg salad cos cups recipe...
Rainbow Salad in a Jar Recipe
Finding ways of eating good food on the go saves money and ensures you make a great choices. Enjoy our...