Vegetable Pasties with Spelt & Ghee Crust Recipe
A beautiful and nourishing take on a traditional pastry filled with vegetables and herbs. The ghee really makes this pastry so delicious but if it’s not on hand, simply swap for an equal quantity of butter. I wrap these individually in the freezer so they’re ready to enjoy on the days or nights when I feel like convenient, easy eating.
- 2½ cups spelt flour
- ⅓ cup ghee, melted
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg, whisked, to brush the top of the pastry
- Sesame seeds, for topping (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 small red onion, peeled & cut into small chunks
- 1 small red capsicum, seeded & diced small
- 120g frozen peas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- To make the pastry, place spelt flour in a large bowl, then add ghee, olive oil, salt, water and bring together to form a dough. Transfer to a floured benchtop and knead 5 mins with your hands, so the dough is a lovely elastic and not too dry. It shouldn’t be dry given the ghee and oil.
- Divide into 8 pieces, roll into balls and set aside.
- To make the filling, steam sweet potato pieces with red onion until soft. Transfer to a bowl, add red capsicum, peas, herbs and egg. Mix well.
- Take one of the balls of pastry and roll out until approximately 15cm in diameter, place ⅛ of the filling on the dough, slightly to one side (so you can fold over the other half of the dough like an envelope) and spread it just a touch. Fold over the other side of the dough and press the edges together firmly.
- Brush the top and edges with egg, sprinkle with seeds and place in oven to cook for 20 mins.
- Cool slightly on tray for about 5 mins, then serve.
Persian Baked Eggs Recipe
This Persian baked eggs dish is like comfort in a bowl. Dial up the spice with the addition of chilli,...
Crispy Persian Rice Recipe
This pan-fried Persian rice dish has a crisp golden crust with soft fluffy rice inside. It's a delicious side dish...
Roast Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagne Recipe
This vegetarian lasagne recipe is the ultimate winter warmer, packed with nourishing veggies and gluten-free goodness the whole family will...