These fish burgers are best used with a firm white fish like ling or whiting so they keep their integrity and don’t fall apart. Kewpie mayonnaise adds a nice spice kick to these burgers but they can also be used with tartare sauce if you’re looking for something milder.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup stale breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper, to season
- 4 skinless fillets — white firm fish, pin boned
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 125g coleslaw
- 4 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
- 4 wholemeal burgers, halved and lightly toasted
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and place the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the fish fillets with flour then dip into the whisked egg and coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the fish for 2-3 mins on each side depending on the thickness until cooked through and top with a squeeze of lemon juice. Transfer to a covered plate.
- Combine the coleslaw with the Kewpie mayonnaise and mix well. Add to the bottom half of the bun and top with fish fillets and extra Kewpie mayonnaise if desired. Serve.