Bean Chilli with Cashew Sour Cream and Guacamole Recipe
A good, slow-cooked chilli always goes down well and is great for feeding a crowd. Make a double batch and freeze half for a later date. It’s also great served on jacket potatoes, in wraps or in tacos.
- Bean Chilli
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red capsicums, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ancho or chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 sticks cinnamon
2 bay leaves
4 × 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 650mL jar passata
3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan Massell brand “beef style” stock powder
2 × 400g tins kidney beans
- 2 × 400g tins pinto beans
2 × 400g tins black beans
¼ cup dark vegan chocolate or cocoa powder
Cashew Soured Cream
- 1½ cups cashews (soaked overnight & drained)
- 1 cup water
Juice 1 lemon
1 tsp salt or more, to taste
2 avocados, peeled & mashed
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
Juice 2 small limes
1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 tsp red chilli, finely chopped
2 red chillies, sliced
1 bunch fresh coriander
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup sambal oelek (minced chilli)
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Heat large casserole pot or slow cooker. Add onions, garlic and capsicum and sauté for a few mins until softened. Add chilli powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, followed by tomatoes and passata, coconut sugar and stock powder. Finally add beans and chocolate, cover with lid and simmer on very low heat for around 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- For cashew sour cream, place soaked cashews in blender with water, lemon juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- For guacamole, place all ingredients into bowl and mix well.
- Dollop some cashew sour cream on top of bean chilli, add sliced red chillies and place on some fresh coriander leaves. Place pot of bean chilli on table with cooked brown rice, cashew sour cream, guacamole, sambal, lime wedges and remaining coriander leaves for everyone to help themselves. Spoon some bean chilli onto plate and top with all the sides.
No refined sugars and loads of fruit make this vegan tropical iceblock recipe a real winner
Cherry and almond sorbet
This simple cherry and almond sorbet recipe doesn’t require an ice-cream machine, and it's vegan-friendly too. What are you waiting...
Mango passionfruit chia pudding
Need a healthy breakfast or a lunch on the run? These vegan mango passionfruit chia puddings are the perfect solution
Strawberry, banana and vanilla iceblocks
Sugar-free, plant-based and vegan, these strawberry, banana and vanilla iceblocks will be your best healthy indulgence go-to ever.