Dutch Carrot Soup with Crunchy Chickpeas Recipes
Cultivators of the carrot, it seems only fitting to dedicate a Dutch style recipe to the humble but mighty orange root veg! I’ve added some pumpkin here for extra creaminess but it would work just as nicely as a pure carrot soup.
- 400g carrots, sliced lengthways
- 300g pumpkin, peeled & chopped into small cubes
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 2 tbsp tahini or yoghurt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Place carrots and pumpkin on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, cumin and good pinch of sea salt and place in oven at 200°C for 15–20 mins or until vegies are beginning to caramelise. Remove from oven, drizzle with honey and set aside.
- Place chickpeas on another baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and add to oven to cook for 30 mins or until nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add onion, garlic and olive oil to large saucepan and sauté until soft.
- Cut carrots roughly into smaller chunks and add to saucepan with pumpkin and vegetable stock, simmering for around 10 mins until vegies are tender.
- Add tahini or yoghurt and blend well using stick blender until smooth. Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Add cumin, coriander and sesame seeds to chickpeas, give them a stir around on tray and return to oven for last 5–10 mins of cooking time.
- Serve soup in serving bowls, sprinkle over crunchy chickpeas and parsley and enjoy.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...