Dutch Carrot Soup with Crunchy Chickpeas Recipes
Cultivators of the carrot, it seems only fitting to dedicate a Dutch style recipe to the humble but mighty orange root veg! I’ve added some pumpkin here for extra creaminess but it would work just as nicely as a pure carrot soup.
- 400g carrots, sliced lengthways
- 300g pumpkin, peeled & chopped into small cubes
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 2 tbsp tahini or yoghurt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Place carrots and pumpkin on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, cumin and good pinch of sea salt and place in oven at 200°C for 15–20 mins or until vegies are beginning to caramelise. Remove from oven, drizzle with honey and set aside.
- Place chickpeas on another baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and add to oven to cook for 30 mins or until nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add onion, garlic and olive oil to large saucepan and sauté until soft.
- Cut carrots roughly into smaller chunks and add to saucepan with pumpkin and vegetable stock, simmering for around 10 mins until vegies are tender.
- Add tahini or yoghurt and blend well using stick blender until smooth. Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Add cumin, coriander and sesame seeds to chickpeas, give them a stir around on tray and return to oven for last 5–10 mins of cooking time.
- Serve soup in serving bowls, sprinkle over crunchy chickpeas and parsley and enjoy.
Get to know David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl from Green Kitchen Stories
David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl are the Scandinavian duo at the helm of Green Kitchen Stories. Their simple, healthy and...
Beetroot and Feta Croquette Appetiser Recipe
These simple beetroot and feta croquettes offer an easy, delicious and colourful appetiser to add to your entertaining menu.
Lemon Risotto Croquettes with Pesto Recipe
These delicious gluten-free croquettes are perfect served as an appetiser or as a vegetarian meal topped with marinara sauce, parmesan...
Coconut & Hemp Crumbed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Pumped with plant protein and essential fats, these gluten-free crumbed Brussels sprouts are the ultimate vegan snack, side or lunch!