Fermented Apple Sauerkraut Recipe
Makes: 1.2kg jar
- 500mL filtered water
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 400g shredded red cabbage
- 1 apple, shredded
- 1.2kg glass jar, washed well
- ¼ cup organic apple-cider vinegar
- To make the brine, mix water and salt together in a jug.
- Wash your hands well then pack the cabbage and apple in a jar, pushing them down well.
- Pour brine over cabbage and apple, then pour in apple-cider vinegar. The cabbage and apple should be completely covered in liquid.
- Close the lid and give a gentle shake so brine and apple-cider vinegar mix together.
- Place jar in a warm place in the kitchen and let sit for 24 hours. You may notice some bubbling — this is normal.
- After 24 hrs, open the lid and press down vegetables again. If vegetables aren’t covered completely in liquid, add a little more water, salt and apple-cider vinegar.
- Close the lid and let it sit for another 6-7 days. Use a clean fork to remove veggies.
- If you notice a white bacteria film on the top of your brine, simply spoon it off.
- Tip: The thinner you slice the cabbage and apple, the quicker they will ferment and the softer they will be.
Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe
These gluten-free pancakes offer a sweet breakfast or brunch treat that is fluffy, light and delicious — a delight for your...
Quick kitchen: Nourishing mocha and banana smoothie bowl
Don't put your high-speed blender and reusable straws away yet. It’s still the perfect time to enjoy the humble smoothie...
Treat yourself to these 4 gnocchi comfort food recipes
Winter is here and we've got your comfort food recipes covered thanks to Grand Italian's delicious gnocchi, bringing the taste...
Masoor Vegan Dal
Made with red lentils and fragrant spices, this traditional vegan dal is power-packed with dietary fibre and protein and it...