Healthy Loaded Fried Recipe
This is a healthy take on the loaded fries often found in takeaway restaurants — complete with a cheesy top but lots of other nourishing ingredients, too. It’s healthy comfort food at its best.
- 4 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1kg potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean & cut into fries
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup flaked, slivered or chopped almonds
- 4 spring onions, white part sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup crumbled feta or goat feta
- 2 ripe roma tomatoes, seeds removed & diced
- 1 large avocado, mashed with pinch salt
- Handful coriander leaves, picked from stems
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- In large baking dish, heat ghee or oil for 5 mins.
- Add potato and toss to coat. Add salt, oregano and smoked paprika and toss well again.
- Bake for 30 mins or until starting to crisp.
- Once potatoes are ready, top with almonds, spring onion, Parmesan and feta and return to oven for 5-10 mins.
- Remove from oven, scatter over tomato, blobs of mashed avocado, coriander and lime wedges.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Note: For a dairy-free and vegan version, bake the fries in coconut oil and replace the cheese with ¼ cup toasted cashews (processed to a meal) mixed with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, a good pinch of sea salt and a pinch of garlic powder. You can also replace the feta with a vegan (cashew) cream cheese.
Mauritian Lentil Soup
This Mauritian-inspired red lentil soup is the ultimate comfort food. Easy to whip together, it’s warming to the body, with...
Oven-Baked Vegie Fritters
These tasty vegie fritters are loaded with dietary fibre for good bowel health, beta-carotene for healthy vision and complex carbohydrates...
Give sugar the flick with this honey-sweetened lemon tart: you’ll never look back. If you are a real honey fan...
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...