Healthy Vegan Japanese Poke Bowl Recipe
Poke bowls are so much fun to eat. They are like a party on a plate! Try our Japanese twist at your next dinner party.
- Soy & Sesame Glazed Tofu
- 500g silken firm tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- ¼ cup tamari
¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup rice-wine vinegar
¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1½ cups water
½ tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Shiitake mushrooms, fresh or dried, soaked in water for 1 hour, then sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup edamame, pods removed
- ¼ large eggplant, cut into thin slices
- 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- Brown rice noodles, soaked in boiling water for 15 mins, then drained
- ½ cup dried seaweed mix, soaked in cold water for 5 mins
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 tsp white miso paste
2 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place tofu on oven tray lined with baking paper and bake until the tofu is crusted and golden brown.
- To make glaze, place all glaze ingredients in jar and stir/shake to dissolve cornflour.
- Using wok or large pot, add glaze mixture and stir over high heat constantly until it thickens. When thickened and resembling a glaze, add tofu and stir.
- Turn off heat and stir to coat tofu with sauce.
- Sauté mushrooms in dry frying pan with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp water and continue to sauté until water evaporates.
- Cook edamame in boiling salted water for 3 mins, then season with pinch of salt.
- Grill eggplant on chargrill plate or barbecue.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients and place in small bowl for serving.
- To assemble poke bowl, arrange salad ingredients around shallow bowl, add tofu and drizzle dressing over.
- Serve immediately.
Bubble and Squeak Recipe
For me, English food is comfort food, especially bubble and squeak. This dish takes me back to my childhood —...
13 antioxidant foods and how to enjoy them
Antioxidants defend against cell-damaging free radicals, which increase your risk of disease and premature ageing. Including a variety of antioxidant-rich...
Which dairy is the better choice: full or reduced fat?
It’s easy to get hung up on fat content when it comes to dairy products, especially if you’re watching your...
Oven-Baked Pumpkin and Corn Brown Rice Risotto Recipe
This hearty risotto is a great source of dietary fibre. Brown rice contains around seven times more fibre than white...