Mushroom and Spinach Vegan Quiche Recipe
Who says you need eggs to make a quiche? My eggless vegan quiche is savoury, satisfying, comforting, loaded with vegies, healthy, crispy on the crust, egg-like in the centre and perfect for lunch, brunch, dinner and even served cold at picnics.
- ½ cup whole almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 500g firm tofu
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Zest ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
½ cup water
- 1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 medium-sized mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
2 handfuls spinach, shredded
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add all crust ingredients (except water) to bowl and combine. Add water and mix with hands until mixture forms moist but firm dough (keep adding a little water if necessary).
- Spread dough with fingers evenly over base and sides of a 25cm loose-bottom flan tin. Poke fork holes in dough so air can escape. Bake for 10 mins or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C.
- To make filling, place tofu, soy milk, nutmeg, zest and maple syrup in a food processor or blender and blend to ricotta consistency. Place in large bowl.
- Heat frying pan on high heat. Add ½ cup water then add onion and garlic and sauté until all water evaporates. Add mushroom and sauté until soft. Add zucchini, carrot and spinach. Add soy sauce and sauté for a couple of mins until vegetables are soft.
- Place cooked vegetables in bowl with tofu mixture. Add oregano, whole wheat flour and salt and pepper to taste. With hands, mix ingredients together in bowl.
- Place tofu and vegetable mixture in cooked flan crust. Press down firmly. Bake for 30 mins. Remove, let cool and serve.
Lee Holmes shares her take on the perfect marinades plus her favourite Biryani recipe
Marinating is an age-old process to intensify the flavour of food before cooking.
Fruit as a natural beauty product? Find out how to feed your skin, naturally.
You can snack on it, drink it and cook with it but did you know that fruit can be used...
We take a look at the many benefits of the humble carrot
Carrots hold a special place in our hearts. They are great raw or cooked. Kids generally like them. They are...
Discover how the common ivy leaf can help with respiratory conditions
The common plant ivy has many effects when used medicinally but its prime action is as a respiratory anti-inflammatory —...