Okra Panzanella Recipe
I love adding olives and roasted capsicum to this traditional Tuscan-inspired recipe. The addition of pan-fried okra and lemon gives the dish an interesting textural twist. The salad is a great way to use up leftover tomatoes and bread. If you only have fresh bread, just leave the bread uncovered on a plate to dry for an hour or dry it out on low heat in the oven.
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 okra, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Pinch sea salt
- Juice ½ lemon
- 600g ripe mixed tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 250g day-old ciabatta or sourdough loaf, coarsely torn
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- 50g Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- On oven tray lined with baking paper, add capsicums and roast for 20 mins until the skin blisters and starts to go black. Once cooled, deseed and cut into small strips.
- In the meantime, prepare okra. Heat olive oil in large frying pan over medium–high heat. Add garlic, sea salt and okra and cook until golden and slightly crispy. Take off heat and leave to cool slightly then add a squeeze of lemon juice and season to your liking.
- Combine tomatoes in large bowl and add caster sugar to sweeten slightly in their own juices for 20 mins.
- Add onion, capsicum, okra and ciabatta to tomato mix then sprinkle with red-wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Season as required.
- Top with basil leaves and Kalamata olives. Serve immediately.
English Baked Beans on Toast
Tinned baked beans are full of sugar and salt. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you won’t buy tinned beans ever...
Pear Spelt Pancakes with Strawberry Purée
Pears and strawberries are rich sources of vitamin C, which is vital for boosting immune function and for supporting adrenal...
Creamy Pea, Asparagus & Broccolini Pasta with Mint Pesto
Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa, the capital city of Liguria, Italy. It traditionally consists of crushed garlic, pine...
Vegan Székely Gulyás (Mushroom & Sauerkraut Goulash)
The name székely gulyás means “gypsy goulash” in Hungarian. Technically, this is a soupy pork dish with sauerkraut and sour...