Plant-Based Butterbean Chickpea Tagine Recipe
Hands down some of the easiest yet wow-factor dishes are those that land in a slow cooker. The slow, low nature of the cooking process allows more of the flavour to be released and to combine with the complementary ingredients of the dish. I’m on a mission this winter to create more plant-based slow-cooked dishes and I think this tagine will win hearts and tummies over.
- 1 red onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground harissa spice
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g Jap pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 12 dried organic Turkish apricots
- 1 red capsicum (220g), seeded & roughly chopped
- 400g tin butter beans, rinsed & drained
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup coriander, leaves & stalks finely chopped
- Cooked rice, buckwheat or quinoa, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place large casserole dish over medium heat, add red onion, oil and garlic. Cover and sweat vegetables for 3-4 mins.
- Add ginger, cumin, harissa and cook 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin, apricots, capsicum, beans, chickpeas and water, bring to boil, stir, then cover and place in oven to cook for 2 hours.
- Serve with fresh coriander and your choice of wholegrain bread or flatbread accompaniment.
Miso Broth, Brown Rice Noodles and Leafy Greens Recipe
This is one of my favourite noodle dishes. After a busy day you can have this nourishing tasty meal on...
Split Pea, Smoked Tofu and Barley Soup Recipe
When I was a kid, my mum made the best pea and ham soup. Now that I’m vegan I’ve created...
Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and...