Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry Recipe
I can’t tell you how important it is to follow a soaking process when preparing any legumes or pulses. If you have a careful look at your soaked legumes after 24 hours, you begin to see the sprouting shoots pop up underneath the skin. This sprouting process reduces the amount of phytic acid in legumes, which makes them much easier to digest. Phytic acid can also bind to essential nutrients, making them less available to the body. Reducing phytic acid levels releases more of these essential nutrients to the body. I find it easiest to soak, sprout and cook a lot of chickpeas at once. Then I freeze them into smaller containers and have them ready for use in a dish like this.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 knob ginger, finely grated
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 350g pumpkin pieces (skin off, cut into cubes)
- 400g cooked chickpeas
- 4 Russian kale leaves, chopped
- 2g fresh curry leaves
- 350mL vegetable stock
- 350mL passata
- 6 cups cooked basmati rice
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion, capsicum, garlic, ginger and sea salt. Cook for 10 mins until vegetables are soft.
- Add garam masala, ginger powder and turmeric powder and cook for further 2 mins, constantly stirring mixture.
- Add pumpkin pieces, chickpeas, kale leaves, curry leaves, vegetable stock and passata. Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer gently for 1 hour. You’ll know it’s ready when most of pumpkin has broken down and helped thicken your sauce.
- Serve with basmati rice and use sliced red onion and fresh coriander as topping to freshen.
Vegan Rainbow Goulash
Traditionally, Hungarian goulash is made with meat as the base. This is a delicious vegan version that incorporates chickpeas and...
Black Pepper Garlic Tempeh
I love this little dish because it really packs a flavour punch! Not to mention the protein, iron and magnesium...
Crusted Cauliflower Steaks
Whether you are vegan or flexitarian, this recipe is for you.
The Sustainable Diet
With our world expanding by 82 million new individuals a year, we need to switch to a more equitable, healthier...