Sweet Spiced Carrot Loaf with Maple and Peanut Frosting
As a beginner baker I truly believe simple recipes like loaves are a great introduction to the kitchen. You can keep the ingredients simple and then charge up the flavour with delicious spices. In this recipe I’ve done just that with a twist on a traditional carrot cake using wholesome ingredients and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or macadamia oil
- 4 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup dates, pitted & chopped
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut flour
Maple and Peanut Frosting
- 2 tbsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- Additional crushed nuts & coconut flakes, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, honey, vanilla, bicarb and spices until creamy.
- Add chia seeds, dates, carrot, coconut and flour and mix well to combine.
- Pour into loaf tin and place in middle of oven to cook for 1 hour. Check with skewer after an hour and if it comes out clean remove from oven.
- If skewer is still wet after an hour, cook a further 5-10 mins and check again.
- Once cooked, allow to cool in tin for 20 mins, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- While cooling, make frosting by whisking ingredients in bowl.
- Once loaf is cooled, drizzle frosting over top, garnish with additional nuts and shredded coconut, slice and serve.
- Keep in fridge up to 1 week.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Vegetarian cashew and zucchini Indonesian noodles
What works as a stand-alone vegetarian dish, goes well with tofu, and can even proudly accompany a chicken or fish...
Thai mango salad
This summery Thai mango salad ticks all the boxes for a fresh and healthy meal
Thai tofu with almond sauce and jasmine rice
Tofu is a good source of protein, calcium, and B vitamins. Enjoy it Thai-style with almond sauce and jasmine rice...