Sweet Spiced Carrot Loaf with Maple and Peanut Frosting
As a beginner baker I truly believe simple recipes like loaves are a great introduction to the kitchen. You can keep the ingredients simple and then charge up the flavour with delicious spices. In this recipe I’ve done just that with a twist on a traditional carrot cake using wholesome ingredients and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or macadamia oil
- 4 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup dates, pitted & chopped
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut flour
Maple and Peanut Frosting
- 2 tbsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- Additional crushed nuts & coconut flakes, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, honey, vanilla, bicarb and spices until creamy.
- Add chia seeds, dates, carrot, coconut and flour and mix well to combine.
- Pour into loaf tin and place in middle of oven to cook for 1 hour. Check with skewer after an hour and if it comes out clean remove from oven.
- If skewer is still wet after an hour, cook a further 5-10 mins and check again.
- Once cooked, allow to cool in tin for 20 mins, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- While cooling, make frosting by whisking ingredients in bowl.
- Once loaf is cooled, drizzle frosting over top, garnish with additional nuts and shredded coconut, slice and serve.
- Keep in fridge up to 1 week.
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...
Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Muffins Recipe
These muffins make the perfect lunchbox snack. They’re nut-free and packed with vegetables and nutrient-dense flours. For this recipe, I...