Tarkari Vegan Curry Recipe
Tarkari is a traditional Nepali curry, commonly served alongside dal bhat, a lentil and rice dish that is eaten daily by Nepalese families. Like many South Asian recipes, this one is rich in spices, both savoury and a little bit sweet.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup peas
- Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp, lime juice
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat a wok or large pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few mins.
- Stir in the bay leaves, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander, chilli and salt and pepper. Cook for 1 min or until the spices become aromatic.
- Add in the tomatoes, cauliflower and potatoes and water. Cover with a lid and continue to cook on a low heat, stirring regularly for 10 mins or until the vegetables soften.
- Stir in the peas and cook just until the peas are soft.=
- Stir in 1 tsp of garam masala, salt to taste and lime juice.
- Top with the chopped coriander and serve.
Quick kitchen: Nourishing mocha and banana smoothie bowl
Don't put your high-speed blender and reusable straws away yet. It’s still the perfect time to enjoy the humble smoothie...
Masoor Vegan Dal
Made with red lentils and fragrant spices, this traditional vegan dal is power-packed with dietary fibre and protein and it...
Mango Lassi Recipe
This mango lassi recipe is best used with ripe mangoes for a naturally sweet flavour – it's great with and...