Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make another tray at the same time, then freeze in portions for later. It will make those days when you get home late super-easy.
- Bean Mix
1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried mixed Italian herbs
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 small red chilli, diced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked red kidney beans
- 3 cups cashew sour cream
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight or placed in boiled water for 15 mins & drained
- Juice 2 lemons
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
¼ medium pumpkin, unpeeled & thinly sliced
- 3 large zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 3 handfuls greens, shredded (spinach, Swiss chard or kale)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Heat frying pan over high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until brown.
- Add a little water to deglaze pan. Add cumin, coriander and Italian herbs and stir. Add capsicum and chilli and stir. Add of tomato, stock and kidney beans and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins or until thick.
- Stir bean mixture and gently mash with potato masher to thicken. Store in airtight container in fridge until required.
- To make cashew béchamel, place all ingredients in high-speed blender and puree until smooth. Add more water if necessary. Store in airtight container in fridge until required.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Spread ½ cup of bean mixture in bottom of baking dish. Top with ½ pumpkin, then ½ zucchini. Top and spread evenly with ½ cashew béchamel. Sprinkle over ½ nutritional yeast. Top with remaining bean mixture, pumpkin and zucchini. Spread with remaining cashew béchamel and sprinkle with remaining nutritional yeast. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for a further 15 mins or until golden. Remove from oven and stand for 10 mins before cutting and serving.
Indonesian-Inspired Banana Omelette for Two
This Indonesian-inspired banana omelette can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. Plus, it's so tasty, we bet you'll...
Vegetarian cashew and zucchini Indonesian noodles
What works as a stand-alone vegetarian dish, goes well with tofu, and can even proudly accompany a chicken or fish...
Thai mango salad
This summery Thai mango salad ticks all the boxes for a fresh and healthy meal
Thai tofu with almond sauce and jasmine rice
Tofu is a good source of protein, calcium, and B vitamins. Enjoy it Thai-style with almond sauce and jasmine rice...