Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my favourite dinner. This is my wholefood plant-based version. I replace the mince with carrot and celery as they give a great depth of flavour and delicious mince-like texture. Enjoy!
- 1 cup brown onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup non-alcoholic shiraz or red grape juice
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 700g jar of passata
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsp vegan beef stock powder
- 20 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp mixed dried Italian herbs
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 16 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 4 tbsp Nutty Bay Olive & Oregano or Tomato & Basil Cashew Cheese
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 375g wholemeal spaghetti
- Heat wide pan or casserole pot on high heat. Add onions and dry sauté (no oil) for 1 min; add garlic and sauté for another min. Add couple of tbsp of water to deglaze pan. Add celery and carrots and sauté for couple of mins. Add non-alcoholic wine, tin tomatoes, passata and water.
- Next, add vegan stock powder, mushroom, dried herbs and basil leaves. Stir well, cover with lid and bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Remove lid and simmer for 10 mins until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- To serve, place some cooked spaghetti into 4 shallow serving bowls, top with baby spinach leaves and bolognese sauce, add 4 olives, top with cashew cheese and nutritional yeast.
Brussels Sprouts Fritters Recipe
These fritters would be perfect alongside a nice Sunday roast. They taste like a combination of Brussels sprouts and Yorkshire...
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
This pumpkin bread is nutrient-rich, high in protein and fibre, free from grains and gluten and can be made dairy-free....
Curry Spiced Trail Mix Recipe
Snack time just became a whole lot more interesting thanks to this Curry Spiced Trail Mix: the perfect combination of...
Butter Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry Recipe
Cauliflower and sweet potato add such abundant nutrition to this traditional curry dish with a twist. Both vegetables are rich...