Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my favourite dinner. This is my wholefood plant-based version. I replace the mince with carrot and celery as they give a great depth of flavour and delicious mince-like texture. Enjoy!
- 1 cup brown onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup non-alcoholic shiraz or red grape juice
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 700g jar of passata
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsp vegan beef stock powder
- 20 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp mixed dried Italian herbs
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 16 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 4 tbsp Nutty Bay Olive & Oregano or Tomato & Basil Cashew Cheese
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 375g wholemeal spaghetti
- Heat wide pan or casserole pot on high heat. Add onions and dry sauté (no oil) for 1 min; add garlic and sauté for another min. Add couple of tbsp of water to deglaze pan. Add celery and carrots and sauté for couple of mins. Add non-alcoholic wine, tin tomatoes, passata and water.
- Next, add vegan stock powder, mushroom, dried herbs and basil leaves. Stir well, cover with lid and bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Remove lid and simmer for 10 mins until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- To serve, place some cooked spaghetti into 4 shallow serving bowls, top with baby spinach leaves and bolognese sauce, add 4 olives, top with cashew cheese and nutritional yeast.
Lemon and Cranberry Green Beans
This healthy dish is full of festive colours. The bright green beans and cranberries will add lovely Christmas tones to...
Egg and Wild Mushroom Tart
This tart is lovely topped with fresh basil leaves and is a great addition to the Christmas buffet table. It...
Roasted Fig, Walnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad
Goat’s cheese, fig and beetroot were made for one another.
Miso Broth, Brown Rice Noodles and Leafy Greens Recipe
This is one of my favourite noodle dishes. After a busy day you can have this nourishing tasty meal on...