Veggie Soup in a Jar with Flavour Hits Recipe
The trick with this soup is to mix it with different flavour hits to create new flavours every day. You can change the grated veggies and greens you use in this base recipe according to seasonal availability. You can create your own army of jar soups in advance and stash them in the fridge for up to one week. You’ll need a mason jar or other heatproof jar with a lid that holds approximately 440mL.
- 1 small zucchini, spiralised or cut into thin strips using a peeler
- ¼ cup shredded ½ large carrot, spiralised or grated
- ½ red capsicum, chopped into wedges cabbage
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 6 snow peas, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby English spinach leaves
- 1 lemon or lime wedge
- Tpo serve
- Boiling filtered water, to fill
- 1 tbsp wheat-free tamari
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp of chosen flavour hit (recipes below)
- Add all the base ingredients to the mason jar and take it to work with you.
- When lunchtime rolls around, unscrew the lid and add boiling filtered water until three-quarters full. Add the tamari and apple cider vinegar, leave to gently heat through and soften the vegetables for 10 mins, then stir gently and eat.
- Tip: Pre-made flavour hits with developed layers of flavour will boost the taste of low-calorie fasting dishes and make them more satisfying. They also have added health benefits, not only adding nutrients to the meal but also improving nutrient absorption. Make yours according to the following recipes (each serves 4) and add to your soup base for a delicious meal.
Thai flavour hit
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, roots and stems included
- ¼ cup cashews
- Pulse all the ingredients together in food processor and blitz until they form a paste. Keep in a small airtight container in the fridge for use in veggie flask soups or as a flavour hit in curries and other dishes.
- Note: For an added Asian-inspired twist, add a handful of trimmed bean sprouts to the veggie soup recipe when using this flavour hit.
Herby flavour hit
- Zest & juice 1 lemon
- Small handful parsley leaves
- Small handful basil leaves
- Small handful coriander leaves
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pulse all the ingredients together in a food processor until the herbs are finely chopped. Keep in a small airtight container in the fridge for use in soups and stews or to spoon over meats or fish.
Tikka flavour hit
- 1 finger-sized piece turmeric, peeled
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 small bunch coriander, stems & roots included
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until it becomes a pesto consistency. Keep in the fridge. Can be used to make several veggie flask soups or as a flavour bomb in curries and other dishes.
Veggie Rice Balls Recipe
These rice balls make a tasty lunch on-the-go or can be added to a wrap or served with a salad...
5-Veg Vegan Ramen Recipe
This vegan ramen is packed with an abundance of different vegetables for a highly colourful and super nutritious dish the...