Vegie Balls & Wholemeal Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pesto Recipe
This is my plant-based version of the classic Italian pasta and meatballs. You can make super-good balls from vegies and legumes and grains. The trick to binding them is chickpea flour.
- Vegie Balls
- 1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 2 cups kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vegan Massell brand “beef style” stock powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
650mL jar passata
- 2 × 400g tins diced tomatoes
1½ cups liquid Massell brand vegan “beef style” stock
1 cup wholemeal penne
1 cup non-alcoholic red wine
- 1 tsp dried mixed Italian herbs
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 cups basil leaves, tightly packed
- ½ cup pine nuts
½ cup cashews
1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 cup water
½ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- To make vegie balls, place all ingredients into bowl and mash with hands to crush into paste and mix to combine. Roll mixture into balls.
- Heat large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and cook balls in 2 batches, turning, for 5 mins or until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To make tomato sauce, add all sauce ingredients into slow cooker or Dutch oven. Stir to combine. Add vegie balls, cover with tight-fitting lid, and cook slowly on very low heat for 2 hours or until pasta is al dente and balls are firm and cooked through.
- To make vegan pesto, place basil leaves, pine nuts, cashews, garlic, water and nutritional yeast into blender. Pulse to rough sauce, pour into bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pot on centre of table and sprinkle with basil leaves, for everyone to help themselves and drizzle over some pesto and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Alternatively, place balls and sauce into serving dish.
Are you in need of some breakfast inspiration? We think that Bircher muesli is one of the best breakfasts you...
Chunky Almond Granola
This chunky almond granola is jam-packed with dietary fibre to help lower cholesterol levels, along with B vitamins and slow-release...
Pear Spelt Pancakes with Strawberry Purée
Pears and strawberries are rich sources of vitamin C, which is vital for boosting immune function and for supporting adrenal...
Sugar-Free Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Nice-Cream
It hardly seems possible to have a no-sugar healthy ice-cream that tastes so amazingly sweet and almost like the dairy...