Mauritian food, flavour and nutrition are all very new to me, so when I was asked to write wholesome recipes inspired by this beautiful place I dived into a food research rabbit hole and discovered their cuisine is derived from so many other cultures including France, Africa, India and China! There are amazing Mauritian curries as there are delicious French-inspired pastries, one of which is a traditional banana tart. I’ve recreated this sweet treat with my healthier take on it for a touch of Mauritius in an Aussie kitchen. Enjoy!
- Tart Pastry:
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tbsp water
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Desiccated coconut to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 140°C and line 6 muffin tins with paper cases or grease well with oil.
- Pop all ingredients for pastry in food processor and blitz to a crumb.
- Divide pastry mixture equally between paper cases, place in tin and press around the case to create the pastry shell.
- Place in centre of oven to bake for 25–30 mins.
- Cool on benchtop, then remove from muffin tin.
- Make banana filling by combining bananas, maple and vanilla in saucepan and mashing together.
- Place over low–medium heat and cook, stirring frequently to prevent sugars from sticking to pan, for approx. 15 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly, then divide between pastry cases and serve.
Mediterranean Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
This veggie stir-fry is a really delicious change from traditional Asian-flavoured stir-fries and is sure to quickly become your new...
Vegan Pad Thai Recipe
This is an awesome, quick-to-cook vegan pad Thai that is full of traditional flavour and texture, without the meat or...
Tamari Mushroom & Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
This quick and easy tamari mushroom and beef stir-fry recipe is wonderful served with lentils or brown rice and makes...
3 vegan chocolate recipes the EatWell team can't get enough of
Treat yourself to these vegan chocolate delights, made with Pana Organic's guilt-free, gluten-free range to create the most drool-worthy vegan...