High-Protein Bircher Bowl Recipe
A delicious breakfast you can make the night before. Use muesli or rolled oats, which is the standard Bircher base, and add grated apple or pear if you prefer. There are other crafty switches you can make too: the apple juice gives a light sweet flavour, but it can be swapped for coconut milk or oat milk for a creamier and deeper complexity. Crunchiness is a must, so topple on seeds and flaxseed meal, depending on your preference. Just about any kind of nuts such as chopped hazelnuts or walnuts will add a bit of texture, crispiness and even protein to this delicious bircher bowl.
- 1 apple (Granny Smith works well) cored & roughly grated
- 1½ cups muesli (I used Murray River Organics) or use traditional oats
- ½ cup apple juice (100% natural is best)
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 fresh nectarine sliced
- Drizzle honey
- Chopped nuts or flaxseeds (optional)
- The night before or when you wake up, place apple, muesli or oats, apple juice, protein powder and yoghurt in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and place in fridge overnight or for 10 mins in the morning.
- When ready to eat, remove from fridge and place into bowls and top with berries, slices of nectarine, a drizzle of honey, nuts or flaxseed and extra yoghurt.
Mango Lassi Recipe
This mango lassi tastes like summer, offering a creamy, refreshing beverage to enjoy at any time. Swap fresh mango for...
Roast Carrot, Chickpea & Goat’s Cheese Salad Recipe
Packed with spring veggies and texture to boot, this roast carrot, chickpea and goat's cheese salad makes the perfect side...
Yoghurt Focaccia Recipe
This yoghurt focaccia recipe is the perfect gluten-free alternative for pizza bases. Just add your favourite toppings — your imagination...
Sweet Potato Fritters Recipe with Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
This fritters recipe offers a deliciously crispy outer with a soft middle, served with a creamy herby dressing to impress...