Vietnamese Meatball Soup Recipe
This Vietnamese meatball soup is a delicious, fuss-free meal that is both nutritious and healing. It’s also very versatile, so you can tailor it to suit your taste and pantry supplies. It’s one of my family’s favourite meals right now.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 3 cups chicken bone broth/stock
- 400mL coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed & thinly sliced
- 6–8 spring onions, white part sliced
- Vegetables (any), sliced very small
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Juice 1 lime
- Coriander or Vietnamese mint, to serve
- Chilli flakes, to serve
- 1 heaped tbsp finely grated ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 small carrot, finely grated
500g (approx.) chicken mince
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp sea salt
- Good grind black pepper
Zest 1 lime
- In large pot, heat coconut oil. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for 1 min until garlic just starts softening.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, turmeric, fish sauce, coconut sugar, kaffir lime leaves and spring onion and bring to a rolling simmer.
- While that's heating, make meatballs by putting ginger, coriander, carrot, chicken mince, coconut flour, sea salt, black pepper and lime zest into large bowl. Mix together until well combined and form into golfball-sized balls.
- With soup at rolling simmer, add meatballs and allow to cook for 5 mins or so until cooked through (the larger the meatballs the longer they will need).
- If you are adding vegetables, carefully remove meatballs and divide between serving bowls and add vegetables to soup to blanch for a couple of mins (take care not to overcook). Leafy green vegetables should be added at very end.
- Divide vegetables between bowls.
- Last, add lime juice to soup, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide soup between bowls, garnish with coriander or Vietnamese mint and serve with chilli flakes.
Do you want to live to be 100? Read these strategies for reaching the milestone
The strategies for reaching this milestone include adequate sleep, maintaining a healthy microbiome, protein and maintaining healthy brain function.
Corned Beef Silverside Recipe
A classic corned beef, also known as silverside, screams English comfort food for me. On my English side, everyone loves...
How to grow your own salad greens and why you should
The salad you ate for lunch today may have used more fossil fuel than you did driving to work all...
A Q&A with Renae Smith, owner of Bake Mixes
We speak to Renae Smith, owner of Bake Mixes, an Australian brand who create food packs that you can make...