Simple Vegetable Curry RecipeCredit: Georgia Harding
I often whip up this recipe for a quick meal that’s guaranteed to please my family. It’s very versatile, so even though my main recipe is vegetarian, feel free to add in meat or legumes (see recipe variations). You can also freeze batches of the sauce for a quick curry another time.
- 1 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric or 1cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled & finely grated
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 150g raw cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 250g full-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
- ¾ cup water
- Vegetables (sweet potato, carrots, red capsicum, cauliflower, broccoli & baby spinach)
- Brown basmati, quinoa or cauliflower rice, to serve
- In large, deep pan, melt ghee, butter or coconut oil and sauté onion, garlic, ginger and spices over low heat unit onion is just starting to become opaque and spices smell amazing.
- Transfer to blender or food processor with cashews, tomato, sea salt, yoghurt and water and blend until smooth.
- Add back to same pan (no need to wash it), add vegetables in stages, and simmer with lid on (it will spit), stirring frequently until vegetables are cooked to your liking. Taste and season again.
- My curry takes about 15 mins for root vegetables and a further 5–10 mins for quick-cooking vegies (broccoli, cauliflower and capsicum). Always add leafy greens (baby spinach/coriander) at the very end once you have turned off heat.
- Another way to cook this curry is to steam (or roast) the vegetables and just mix through sauce (which has simmered 10–15 mins to build flavour).
- Serve with brown basmati, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Discover organic at our Welbeing Directory
Like what you read?
Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness
Broccoli and Cheese Tart Recipe
The pastry in this recipe is so good that whenever I make a batch I double it. I freeze the...
Broccoli and Macadamia Pesto Recipe
Broccoli is a great source of dietary fibre and vitamin C, required to support bowel health and immune and adrenal...
Two-minute Broccoli with Sesame and Fried Shallots Recipe
Want to know the best unconventional way to steam vegies? Use a frying pan with a lid to get perfect...
Teacup Watermelon Soup Recipe
A sweet and crunchy salad and a one-bowl wonder, this gorgeous Teacup Watermelon Soup recipe is delicious.