Simple Vegetable Curry Recipe
I often whip up this recipe for a quick meal that’s guaranteed to please my family. It’s very versatile, so even though my main recipe is vegetarian, feel free to add in meat or legumes (see recipe variations). You can also freeze batches of the sauce for a quick curry another time.
- 1 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric or 1cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled & finely grated
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 150g raw cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 250g full-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
- ¾ cup water
- Vegetables (sweet potato, carrots, red capsicum, cauliflower, broccoli & baby spinach)
- Brown basmati, quinoa or cauliflower rice, to serve
- In large, deep pan, melt ghee, butter or coconut oil and sauté onion, garlic, ginger and spices over low heat unit onion is just starting to become opaque and spices smell amazing.
- Transfer to blender or food processor with cashews, tomato, sea salt, yoghurt and water and blend until smooth.
- Add back to same pan (no need to wash it), add vegetables in stages, and simmer with lid on (it will spit), stirring frequently until vegetables are cooked to your liking. Taste and season again.
- My curry takes about 15 mins for root vegetables and a further 5–10 mins for quick-cooking vegies (broccoli, cauliflower and capsicum). Always add leafy greens (baby spinach/coriander) at the very end once you have turned off heat.
- Another way to cook this curry is to steam (or roast) the vegetables and just mix through sauce (which has simmered 10–15 mins to build flavour).
- Serve with brown basmati, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
My mum’s spaghetti bolognese was the best! I could have eaten it every night as a kid; it was my...
Quick Vegetarian Nachos Recipe
I love this meal for a midweek quickie when I have no protein to work with. I try to always...
Vegan Pumpkin and Zucchini 'No Pasta' Lasagna
In this recipe, I use pumpkin and zucchini for lasagna and a cashew béchamel sauce. Double the recipe and make...
Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
These hash browns can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. The wholesome savoury flavours of sweet potato team...