Baked Tempeh, Peanut Sauce & Sautéed Mushrooms, Broccoli & Spinach Recipe
Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian fermented food made from soybeans and is a popular meat replacement, boasting an impressive nutrient profile. It is high in protein, vitamins and minerals, but low in sodium and carbohydrates. In this vegan breakfast dish it is combined with its ultimate ally, peanut sauce with flavourful mushrooms and healthy greens. You will love it.
- Peanut Sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 red bird’s-eye chilli, deseeded
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander roots & stems, chopped
- ¾ cup red shallot or onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 10 fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 200g roasted unsalted peanuts
- ½ kaffir lime leaf
- 1½ tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1½ tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp tamarind puree
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Tempeh & Vegetables
- 400g tempeh, thinly sliced
- 16 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat an oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- For the peanut sauce, place the garlic, chili, coriander root, onion, water and Medjool dates in a high-speed blender.
- Pour into a frying pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 mins. Add the roasted peanuts and stir.
- Remove from the heat, place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend to a smooth paste. The consistency should be creamy (add more water if needed). Store in the fridge for up to 4–5 days or freeze.
- Place the tempeh slices onto the lined baking tray, place in the oven and cook for about 20 mins until golden brown on both sides.
- While the tempeh is baking, heat a frying pan and dry sauté (without oil) the mushrooms, broccoli and spinach, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cooked tempeh and vegetables on a plate and top with the peanut sauce.
Ceres Organics — Young Jackfruit
Inside this can you’ll find a jackfruit of all trades. It’s a fruit with the mystic ability of a culinary...
Quinoa Rainbow Salad Recipe
This rainbow salad is packed with vitamins, antioxidants and, of course, plenty of flavour for a nutritious lunch that'll nourish...
Pesto, Asparagus & Tomato Risotto Recipe
This green vegan risotto is a great way to enjoy an interesting meal that is a satisfying and nutritious, restaurant-quality...
Gluten-free Smashed Avocado Toast Topped with Roast Veggies Recipe
This deliciously healthy gluten-free take on smashed avo is packed with healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied from...